Friday 17 September 2010

Books books books

The Antibiotic Paradox by Stuart B. Levy

I stumbled across this little gem last weekend.  I'm quite embarassed that it took this long for it to make its way onto my reading list.  It is an absolute must-read not only for those pharmacologically-inclined in academic nature but also for anyone who has found himself upping the dosage of the odd painkiller every now and then.  

The most interesting thing for me about this book is the notion of evolution on the microscopic scale.  It's something that creationists and intelligent design proponents (also creationists, just ill-disguised) laughably deny occurs.  Yet, the history of prescription antibiotics and their effects on the average patient reveal exactly the opposite.

However, make no mistake: the antibiotic paradox is one of the less amusing and more terrifying ironies in scientific research.  At the risk of courting sensationalism, I'll go as far as to say that it makes the likelihood of living out those cheesy Hollywood horror flicks about killer viruses that can. not. be. destroyed. because. they're. just. TOO. damn. powerful a very possible reality.  Of course, I am completely hyperbolising here... or am I? Read it and find out for yourself.

 
Eden by Tim Smit

I'm sure everyone reading this has heard of the 'Eden project.'  The book chronicles in great factual and emotional detail the genesis of this project, its development and its resulting triumphant production.  I've never visited the Eden domes because, well, they're in Cornwall... and well, it's Cornwall.  Nonetheless, the book has some amazing pictures which are in all honesty, a poor trade-off and I really should pay a visit to Cornwall sometime soon.  The Lost Gardens of Heligan were also restored by one of the creators of the Eden project (the author) and are of course, located in Cornwall.  So there we go.

The project is a noble and impressive conservationist effort on the surface but as the book reveals; the philosophy behind it is so much more.  The great thing about the book is that it is extremely well-written and has a lot of heart; something people forget scientists and engineers have.  I'm not going to detail what that is but some have called it eye-opening and life-affirming.  So, I don't know, I'd say pick it up because, well, who'd want to miss out on that?

Before you ask, I'm not being paid to endorse these books (but I wouldn't mind the extra money....?).  They are very good books that I've encountered over the last two weeks and completely worth a read.  If you enjoy the food for thought offered on this blog, you'll enjoy them.

4 comments:

  1. what's wrong with Cornwall?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been! Its definately worth a trip up. The book sounds intriguing too and worth a look

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've been thumbing The Greatest Show on Earth - i'll assume you've got a worn out copy already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In response to perrypuri:

    The Greatest Show on Earth was definately great reading. I have to add, you've used some questionable verbs in that sentece of yours... :P

    ReplyDelete