Friday 19 November 2010

It's all in the blood...

I was tempted to dub this piece the title of "Coagulate, you bastard, coagulate!" in reference to my experiences with blood disorders but decided on a less aggressive name.  Nonetheless, I want to emphasise that blood disorders, especially the kind where your blood behaves like a stubborn child and refuses to clot appropriately can make life very difficult... to say the least.  The only way one can manage is to be just as much of a stubborn-son-of-a-bitch and refuse to let the various traumatising experiences of losing large quantities of blood deter you from living how you want to live. 

Given my preoccupation with blood (not exactly something I chose to have preoccupy me, I might add); a Christmas present I recieved last year wasn't as odd-seeming to me as it might have appeared to be had it been presented to a normal member of the population (ha...ha...)


I recieved an Eldoncard Typing Test which is a 'do-it-yourself' kit for determining your blood type along with a book outlining a 'healthy nutrition plan for your blood type.'  I never carried out the DIY blood-test because I already know my blood-type and I also didn't want to piss off the doctor I had to see a week later by showing up with plastered fingers and then explain the injuries were self-inflicted.  The book on the other hand was something I did read through before determining it served a better function as a door-stop.  The book was later demoted to the position of 'spider-squisher' and after it's first day on the job, I decided it was... too gross to keep the book around.  It has now been recycled and lives a much nobler life as a medical dictionary or something. 
 
The book in question is something that should have agreed with the optimistic naturopathic in me but what it outlined was more 'pop science' than legitimate science and believe me when I say there is a vast difference.  The book is entitled 'Eat Right 4 Your Type' and is by Peter D'Adamo and basically claims that the best diet to be on is one that matches your blood type.  In theory, this sounds rather logical.  What better to put into your body than what it is made up of; you are what you eat after all, no?  How this all works in practise however is a whole other question that D'Adamo should not even claim to know an answer to.  Instead, that's exactly what he does.  He outlines different dietary requirements for different blood groups.   

D'Adamo's bold 'fact-based' dietary suggestions are rather fraudulent when you look at how he made his determinations.  He uses the 'lectin hypothesis' as the basis for his whole book.  This basically asserts that lectins (sugar-binding proteins found in food) can cause other molecules within humans to mesh together and create health problems for the individual unless one is getting the right kind of lectins.  The key fallacy here is the assumption D'Adamo makes about there being changes in blood cell morphology.  For example, you may see changes in intestinal villus morphology after a period of fasting but this is not mirrored by the blood.  Also, there is scientific evidence (from peer-reviewed journals, not published books which any monkey with a typewriter can get involved with these days) that reveals enzymes which work as protection systems against certain lectins and repair the damage they do (e.g. intestinal transglutaminase).  As well as this, it is impossible to microscopically observe any morphology changes the secretion of such protection enzymes may induce.  So, where on earth this whole idea of 'coagulating molecules caused by harmful lectins leads to unhealthiness' is coming from, I have no idea.  Did I mention there was also a lack of clinical trials for any of what he was saying? Yet, this book sold millions and I'm sure plenty of people are unquestioningly following the diet plans within it.  Do I have to remind you people: any. monkey. with. a. typewriter. Any. Monkey.  You wouldn't trust everything you read on the Internet, right?  You should treat books as the same.  They carry an air of legitimacy about them but they were written by humans. Flawed humans. 

 I should also add that D'Adamo has released a new book outlining a 'GenoType Diet.' I kid you not.  It's sitting on my desk just waiting for me to maul my way through it.

As a closing point, I'd like to say I love the individual who did give me those very thoughtful presents a great deal.  If we can re-visit the opening statements of this piece, I seem to recall I called myself a stubborn-son-of-a-bitch... I meant to also include a horribly arrogant, highly critical son-of-a-bitch. I guess it's a lump of coal this year then?

5 comments:

  1. i think it's good to critically appraise everything you hear and read. anyways never heard of these blood type diets but they do sound legitimate and sciencey, can imagine loads falling for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book on the other hand was something I did read through before determining it served a better function as a door-stop. The book was later demoted to the position of 'spider-squisher' and after it's first day on the job, I decided it was... too gross to keep the book around. It has now been recycled and lives a much nobler life as a medical dictionary or something.

    lmfao! A+ burn

    ReplyDelete
  3. oo neat post. this is exactly the kind of crap i'd fall for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think we could ever use our genetic make-up to determine a personalised diet then? Am kind of sick of all these fad diets that do fuck all where at least this sounds like it has potential if someone got all the science behind it right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I really don't claim to be knowledgeable in the slightest when it comes to medicine, but from what I can gather, using flawed methodology and not backing up your claims is a bad idea.

    I have to agree with you that you shouldn't believe everything you read. After all, that's what science is about.

    An excellent article, I enjoyed it very much. Now I just need to remember what the Lectin Hypothesis is so that I won't fall for a similar trick.

    ReplyDelete